Making the Transition from Teacher to Teacher Leader: Measuring and Developing the Qualities that Every English Language Teacher Should Have
Professional Trainer: Christine Coombe
Thursday, 7 March 2019 - From 01:00pm to 04:00pm
The term ‘teacher leader’ has taken on many meanings in the leadership literature. For some, it is an actual professional role that is assigned with the intention of “ascribing positional power to certain teachers within the teaching ranks” (Berkowicz & Myers, 2017, p. 1). For others it is someone who has moved up the teacher ranks by providing direction to other teachers and motivating them to take on different roles. Whether teachers find themselves in formal or in informal leadership roles, it is important that they develop the knowledge, skills and abilities to function as effective teacher leaders. In this development course, the presenter will review the latest developments in the English language teacher leadership literature with a view to covering the latest leadership roles, types and styles. Participants will have the opportunity to explore what their own particular leadership styles are and assess their own leadership potential. Key characteristics of successful teacher leaders and strategies about how to develop these characteristics will also be shared.
The aims of this development course will be to:
- Familiarize participants with the latest developments in the
- English language teacher leadership literature
- Provide participants with background on the most prevalent teacher leadership styles and types
- Present participants with the most important roles they will face as both formal and informal teacher leaders
- Help participants determine their leadership style(s)
- Help participants assess their leadership potential
- Provide participants with the strategies necessary to develop their leadership knowledge, skills and abilities.
At the end of this development course, participants will:
- Understand the latest developments in the English language teacher leadership literature
- Have knowledge of the most prevalent teacher leadership styles and types
- Learn about the most important roles they will face as both formal and informal teacher leaders
- Determine their leadership style(s)
- Make an assessment of their leadership potential
- Learn about the strategies necessary to develop their leadership knowledge, skills and abilities.